Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bad Luck or Bad Needles?

I have been enjoying my knitting with this lovely Knit Witches mohair. It took me a while to find a pattern that wouldn't drive me crazy. This one is from MagKnits, and takes a little concentration, but not too much.

Knitwitches-scarf-2

The other day, I was reading an article about how great the new Knit Picks Options wooden tip are for knitting lace. I do love the metal ones, but this yarn has been just sliding right off, so I decided to give them a try. The tips are pointy, but not too much, great for lace. The only problem is that after one row, my tip came off of the metal holder. I figured this was a fluke, and asked Nathalie to borrow one from her set. So here I was, sitting in the coffee shop near Stash yesterday, enjoying my lace knitting, when here we go again...

Knitpicks-wood

I telephoned Knit Picks after the first needle, and they are sending me one. The lady on the other end of the phone seemed a bit confusted by what I was telling her, she wasn't the most helpful, but did finally figure out that I need a new one of 4.5 mm. I guess I will be calling them again about the other. I am now wondering about the rest of my set. Do I ask them to replace the entire thing? It could be quite a while before I get around to trying every size. The questions now is, was this just a bit of bad luck, or are these bad needles held together with childrens paste?

2 comments:

Eatsruns said...

Weird, did you buy them at the same time? Maybe they are part of a bad batch. I've had my Denises for years now so I don't think I'll be switching to the Knitpicks.

Barbara deG said...

Some of my friends have had problems with the Knitpicks options, and not been happy. This is the first time I've seen the wooden ones breaking like this, but I will link it in my blog and our forum on Ravelry to see if my friends can provide details.
Barbara in Maryland, USA